[ti:Questions Follow Harry and Meghan's Decision to Step Back] [by:www.51星和彩票.com] [00:00.00]更多听力请访问51VOA.COM [00:00.04]Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan have announced they will step back [00:06.96]from senior positions in the royal family. [00:11.40]The couple said they hope to become financially independent [00:16.60]and create a new charity -- while continuing some royal duties. [00:22.92]The move came as a surprise to the British royal family. [00:28.44]Hours after the announcement appeared on Instagram, [00:32.80]Buckingham Palace released a short statement. [00:36.52]It said discussions with Harry and Meghan "were at an early stage" [00:43.08]and that such complex issues take time to work out. [00:49.12]British media did not like the idea, either. [00:53.00]The Daily Mirror called the announcement a "shocking disregard" for the Queen. [01:00.72]The Sun described the decision as "Megxit." [01:04.96]The word is a play on "Brexit" -- a common term for Britain's withdrawal from the European Union. [01:14.32]It also raises questions about how the couple will earn a living, [01:19.72]who will pay for their security, and what their new positions will involve. [01:27.56]In their announcement, Harry and Meghan said they [01:31.60]plan to divide their time between Britain and North America. [01:37.84]Meghan was born in Los Angeles, California, and grew up in Hollywood. [01:44.84]Harry and Meghan spent the last six weeks of 2019 in Canada. [01:51.96]Their first official appearance of 2020 was a trip to Canada House in London, [01:58.68]home of Canada's diplomatic mission to Britain. [02:03.20]They will continue to base themselves at Frogmore Cottage [02:07.60]in the grounds of the queen's Windsor Castle while in Britain. [02:12.40]The property was recently repaired at a cost of 2.4 million pounds ($3.13 million) by taxpayers. [02:24.76]The couple also made clear that they expect the government to continue to pay their security costs. [02:32.08]This is required by the Home Office, which is responsible for security of the royal family. [02:40.48]The cost of the security is not publicly available information. [02:45.56]But it is estimated to cost hundreds of thousands of British pounds a year. [02:53.12]The couple said on their new website that they are seeking financial independence [02:59.72]from the royal family's funding, known as the "Sovereign Grant." [03:06.08]This is government money that covers the ongoing costs related to daily life and travel. [03:15.08]The couple said the grant represented about 5 percent of money needed to run their official office. [03:24.96]They did not say if they will give up the remaining 95 percent, [03:30.48]which comes from Prince Charles' centuries-old private estate. [03:37.20]The couple's new website, Sussex Royal, does not say exactly how they plan to fund themselves in the future. [03:47.04]Last year, it was reported that Harry would be executive producer [03:52.56]of a film on mental health for Apple's video streaming service. [03:58.64]And royal writer Penny Junor suggested that Meghan, [04:03.60]who starred in the television show Suits, might restart her acting career. [04:10.84]The couple has not said they would give up their royal names -- the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. [04:18.08]And, their website noted that other royal family members have kept their titles [04:25.12]while earning money in other ways. [04:28.88]Harry and Meghan married in May 2018 in a ceremony in Windsor Castle. [04:36.16]Their marriage was considered at the time to be a sign of a more modern monarchy. [04:43.52]Their son, Archie, was born in May 2019. [04:49.12]The family's relationship with the media has worsened quickly over time, [04:54.68]as they struggled to deal with the pressure, criticism and scrutiny. [05:01.84]Harry described the media's treatment of his wife as "bullying," [05:07.08]and likened it to that of his mother before her death. [05:12.68]His mother, Princess Diana, died in a car crash in France in 1997 while being chased by paparazzi. [05:22.76]Harry and Meghan announced they plan to greatly change media access to their official events. [05:31.52]They will no longer take part in the traditional "royal rota" system, [05:37.00]which is an agreement providing access for royal correspondents. [05:43.32]The royal rota system permits access to their appearances and events by official correspondents. [05:52.56]These correspondents take photographs and videos, which they then share with others in the media. [06:00.84]Now the couple said their plan is to speak directly to the public through social media. [06:09.12]They plan to deny automatic access to some royal correspondents. [06:15.56]The change may make them more of a target for paparazzi photographers, [06:21.08]who will no longer worry about losing access to official events if they are already excluded. [06:30.36]I'm Caty Weaver. [06:31.88]And I'm Pete Musto. 更多听力请访问51VOA.COM